Back to Blog
Blackjack Tips for Dummies
Blackjack is one of the most exciting and popular casino card games and is played by casino fans worldwide. Many love Blackjack because of the social aspects, but also because of the mental challenge. It is one of the few games where skill and strategy up your odds.
How To Play
Now let's get down to business. The rules are really simple. Your goal is to have a hand that's value is higher than the dealer, without exceeding the number 21. All numeric cards count as their face value. Face cards count as 10 and aces can count as either 1 or 11. You are given two cards. From those cards, you must then decide if you would like to hit, stand, double down, or split pairs.
Pro Terms You Should Know
Just because you're a beginner doesn't mean you can't think and act like a pro. Here are some terms you should familiarize yourself with. The more of them you use, the closer you'll be to a Blackjack champ!
• Hit: Take a card. When you want your hand to go higher, you ask for a hit.
• Stand: Once you're satisfied that you have a number closest to 21, without going over, you don't need to take any more cards.
• Double Down: After your first two cards, you can bet an additional amount up to the amount of your original wager and take one additional card. You must stand after the one additional. It’s most common to double down with 10 or 11 and considered unwise to double down if there’s a chance you will bust.
• Split Pairs: If you have two cards of the same value, you can divide, i.e. split, them into two hands. You must make an additional wager equal to your original one and you’ll now play the two hands individually. A more in-depth article on the Basic Strategy mentioned below will give you the nuances of which pairs to split and when.
• Bust: If the total of your cards exceeds 21, then you have busted and you lose your wager.
If you've got a good memory, then you'll be good to go. Start with these as a primer.
• Stand when the dealer’s up card is 2-6 (a bad hand) and your hand is 12-16
• Hit when the dealer’s up card is 7-Ace (a good hand) and your hand is 12-16
• Always make sure you split Aces and 8's.
• Double your 11's, versus when the dealers has 2-10
Seems easy enough. If you want to take your skills to the next level, here are some tips to get you started.
• Don't Drink Too Much: Seems a bit obvious, eh? While relatively easy, Blackjack does take a certain amount of focus. You may want to enjoy some drinks, but don't drink so much that it impairs your good decision-making. You can always celebrate after you win!
• Inspect the Dealer's Up Card: You should always check the dealer's up card before making any decisions. Their up card will let you know exactly what action to take. Note: see above basic strategy for what steps to take, based off of the dealer's up card.
• Never Play the Martingale Betting System: With this system, it's an automatic requirement that you double the size of your bet if you lose. That's a very dangerous game to play, and you could lose too much money.
If you want to put these tips to good use, stop by and visit us at Lady Luck® Casino. We've got live dealers who are friendly and really know how to make the game entertaining! Try out our $5 Blackjack or any of our other slot machines and table games. They'll keep you busy for hours and it's the perfect adult fun. Hope to see you soon!